DOJO BY THE RIVER
Shaolin Dojo is a traditional martial arts training place near the city centre in Turku.
DOJO BY THE RIVER
Shaolin Dojo is a traditional martial arts training place near the city centre in Turku. Shaolin is run jointly by two associations, Turku Aikikai ry and Tode – The Turku Association for Traditional Martial Arts ry.
Shaolin Dojo was founded over 40 years ago. Ilpo Jalamo, one of the founders of the dojo, is still involved in the activities. For more information about the different martial arts practiced in Shaolin (in Finnish), please visit this website and Turku Aikikai’s and Tode’s own websites.
You can also find more information about the beginners courses and junior activities on Turku Aikikai’s and Tode’s own websites. The easiest way to follow news and events at the dojo is on Facebook.
HOW TO JOIN?
- There are three ways to join the martial arts in Shaolin, depending on the art. In karate, there are separate beginners courses for adults and juniors in the form of weekly training sessions – as well as in aikido for adults. There are then twice weekly sessions for adults and once a week for junior karate practitioners. For junior aikido activities, see later.
- In Ryukyu kobujutsu and Tai chi chuan, you can get involved through a weekend seminar for beginners, which runs from Saturday to Sunday, typically one in September and one in January. After that, you can participate in the regular weekly practice.
- In aikido junior group, iaido, kettlebell and MMA there is a so-called continuous admission. You can basically join at any time and the basic skills are taught in the same training sessions with other practitioners. In this case, however, you should contact the coordinators of these arts first.
- Normal indoor exercise clothes are sufficient to start with. You will also need a towel and, for example, sandals, as the soles of your feet should be washed and dried in the shower before exercise. You then move around the indoor exercise area in indoor shoes before moving to the actual training area. During the training sessions, we will train barefoot.
- If necessary, teaching can be given in English.
Ask for courses!